Thursday, January 13, 2011

Beets and leeks and radishes oh my!

So another couple, Oscar and I decided to join a CSA about a month or so ago. We joined the Be Wise Organic Farm in San Diego to commit to buying local. I am somewhat ambivalent about the organic part, but I do believe in eating food locally and Be Wise has a great reputation.

Anyway, every Tuesday we meet up and divide our box between the two couples (we are signed up for weekly deliveries). The box is fruits, vegetables and herbs and boy oh boy is it a ton!

Produce from the box, I actually left out quite a bit. Note the beets, laughing at me.....




The fun thing about CSAs is that, to quote Forrest, you never really know what you're going to get. For the past few weeks I have been trying to get creative with beets, fennel. leeks and radishes. Thank God for Allrecipes.com, and an understanding boyfriend. I mean truthfully, there is only so much you can do with beets. I have made salads, I have made soups I have made salads and soups and dyed our kitchen sink purple every week for the past month and a half and every week, more beets!  Beets are extra good for you but I am running out of ideas....Any suggestions?

Some of  my CSA creations include: carrots and fennel (not good), carrot and celery soup (delish!), cream of broccoli soup (with healthy modifications, delish!), LOTS of salads and fruits and seasoning with lots of dill, parsley and marjoram (I think it's marjoram). Aside from the random vegetable issue, I really love having our produce coming locally. I know everything is in season, and luckily living in Southern California, we have an awesome year round growing season so we always have a great selection and it also forces me to find new ways to cook!

No comments:

Post a Comment