Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Plate size

The average plate size in 1950? 9 inches. Today-12 , and in some cases, even 14 inches. Knowing that we will usually eat more if more is present, and realizing if a plate is 25-35% bigger we will more than likely put more food on it-well you can see where I'm going with this. Portion control is a major issue when it comes to weight control.

Studies have shown that we humans will eat more if we are served food in larger plates and bowls. There was this really cool study that looked at how much soup a person would eat if the experimenters used a bowl which was continually being filled via a tube undetectable to the eater (while they were eating) versus someone who just had soup served in a single portion. The answer was ten times more!! Just goes to show if it's there, we'll usually eat it, unless you are one of those people with self control, and what fun is that??

There are all kinds of diets out there that proclaim the value of eating until you are full by recommending a number of chews per bite, thinking about your fullness level, I think one person had something where he recommends tapping these certain places on your body that cause some sort of cognitive recall. Of course I don't believe in diets, but I have to say there is some merit there. If instead of eating until "our plate is clear" or until we absolutely can't move, how about if we stop to think about that next bite. Do I really need it or am I eating it because it is there? I know I usually answer the latter, because I am a glutton, but if I asked myself if I really wanted more when I am already full, the answer would be no.

I'm not suggesting weight loss is as easy as eating on smaller flat ware but I also believe portions are out of control in this country and if we ate to our stomachs and not to our eyes, I believe at least a part of the battle would be easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment