Saturday, February 6, 2010

Insomniac


Ever have those nights where for no reason at all you just can't sleep? I had one of those nights last night. I was so tired all day, couldn't wait to get home and go to bed, and then couldn't sleep. Of course the longer I couldn't sleep, the more stressed out I became since I had to be up at four in the morning this morning for work. All of this amounted to me, on my couch, watching TV until my alarm went off this morning. I am exhausted. Which brings me to an interesting topic: caffeine.

I'm not a coffee drinker. Don't get me wrong I love the way coffee smells and tastes, I just can't handle the caffeine. After I get over the fact that I feel like I'm going to have a heart attack, I am so hyper and wound up I can't concentrate on anything and am basically worthless until the effect wears off, at which point I am so tired all I can think about is going to bed, which usually happens around noon, and the cycle starts over again. But, according to the Center for Science in the Public Interest a whopping 9 out of 10 Americans drink coffee and insist it keeps them alert and some report caffeine even makes them happy.Most people have their opinions on caffeine, I even had a friend who once told me he looked down on people who drink coffee in the morning, of course he looked down on people for just about anything, but I digress. What's the real deal with caffeine?

Caffeine is a central nervous system stimulant, and they way it works, in overly simplistic terms, is it shuts off your cells ability to relax by taking up adenosine, hence the feeling of alertness reported from ingesting caffeine. How much caffeine does it take to do this? Usually about 200 mg, and to give you an idea, a Starbucks cup of coffee contains about 330 mg. And for those of you who may be drinking energy drinks thinking they don't contain caffeine all the goodies in anything that keeps you alert (Red Bull, 5 hour energy, Monster, etc.,) are derivatives of the caffeine molecule.

The good, the bad and the perhaps

In addition to providing a feeling of being awake, coffee has also been associated with reducing risk for Parkinson's disease and gallstones, improving mood and physical performance (it is an anabolic), reducing headaches and increasing mental performance. It also contains the theobromine, which has been reported to have some positive health benefits.

Caffeine is also associated with increasing the risk for infertility, sleeplessness, migraines, miscarriages and birth defects. And no matter what your buddies at the bar may tell you, coffee is NOT going to sober you up.

Research goes on to say heart disease, high blood pressure, diabetes and PMS were also not necessarily associated with high intakes of caffeine (more than about 400 mg)but cutting caffeine down or out all together won't hurt you either. Some research would say coffee is not a diuretic and does not dehydrate you but I say no way. But that's just me.

Hopefully this made you feel a little better or worse or smarter about that cup of coffee you just drank. If you want more information check out the March 2008 Center for Science and Public Interest Newsletter.

No comments:

Post a Comment